Name Licensing

If you want to start up a business, like Starbuck’s or Pier One, you will need to obtain a license of the name, if it is already in use.  Alternatively, if you have a business and want someone else to use your business name, you can license them to do so.  The agreement should protect you from liability for the acts of the other person.  If you are going to operate a business under an assumed name you need to notify the Secretary of State that you will be “Doing Business As” the name you choose.