After providing for enjoyment and safety, your home is an investment in your financial future. Make sure your home's value is not diminished by invisible legal risks. Secure your investment by knowing what you're buying or selling.
What is TIER?
TIER (Title Insurance Exceptions Review®) delivers a legal opinion of public County Recorder's documents representing exceptions to title insurance for your parcel. Exceptions documents represent potentially problematic, expensive, or irreconcilable issues regarding a parcel's use, insurability, and financing. Finally, TIER delivers an intuitive risk assessment of your parcel: Green, Yellow, or Red Light.
Buyer Beware: Because exceptions documents are a matter of public record, the law assumes buyers know and understand the effect these documents have on a parcel's use, insurability, and financing.
How does it work?
Fill out a simple order request. A preliminary title report will be ordered for your parcel. After all exceptions documents have been received, your attorney produces your TIER analysis in four business days. Finally, after reading your TIER, speak to your attorney and address questions you may have.
- Know what risks title insurance won't cover
- Minimize the legal risks of a parcel before close of escrow
- Negotiate price and terms that address the circumstances of the public record
- Substantiate market value
Who uses TIER?
- Buyers and sellers of residential and commercial parcels
- Buyers and sellers of bare land
- Cash Buyers
- Court-Appointed Officers
- Estate Executors
Types of documents reviewed:
- Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs)
- Record of Surveys
- Road Agreements
- Septic Agreements
- Tax Liens
- Water Agreements
What is The GREEN Light System®?
The GREEN Light System is a legal due diligence system that assesses the risk of a parcel, risk the law assumes you understand.
Three Levels of Risk:
GREEN: TIER analysis indicates parcel is ready for sale or purchase.
YELLOW: TIER analysis indicates potential use, title, or lending weakness that affects market value.
RED: TIER analysis indicates defects requiring legal work before close of escrow.
GREEN Light Certified®
Reduce the risk of real estate transactions by insisting on GREEN Light Certified® properties.
GREEN Light Certified properties:
- Reduce risk
- Substantiate price
- Simplify transactions
Reduce the risk of real estate transactions by insisting on GREEN Light Certified® properties!
What does it cost?
TIER Contingent Pricing Schedule
|GREEN||$1000||Public record ready for market|
|YELLOW||$1250||Public record indicates weakness, but not significant risk|
|RED||$1500||Significant risk; public record indicates defects|
Advance Fee is $1500 per parcel. If parcel tests Red, no refund is owed. If parcel test Green or Yellow, refund will be initiated the business day following the completion of TIER.
Contingent Refund Schedule
Have the following information handy:
- Name and contact information
- Legal description, parcel number, and/or street address of the Subject Property
- VISA, MasterCard, Discover information
Ordering should take less than five minutes.
What happens next?
1. Preliminary Title Report. The preliminary title report is ordered for your parcel.
2. Exceptions documents. When all exceptions documents have been received, you will receive an email listing the documents to be reviewed, a due-by commitment date, and a scheduled time to speak with your attorney.
3. TIER evaluation letter complete. You will receive an email with the TIER and invoice attached. If parcel tests GREEN or YELLOW, refund will be initiated the next business day.
4. Attorney phone call. Your attorney will call at the scheduled time to answer your questions.
Note: Eight (8) holidays are observed per year: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year's Eve.