Avoid the heartbreak of investing in a home with legal risks you didn’t know existed. Find out what County Recorder’s documents say about your parcel. Know what to disclose upon sale. Find out what title insurance doesn’t cover. Arm yourself with valuable information and secure your investment.
What is TIER?
TIER (Title Insurance Exceptions Review®) analyzes public County Recorder’s documents that represent exceptions to title insurance coverage. Exceptions documents represent potentially problematic, expensive, or irreconcilable issues regarding a parcel’s use, insurability, and financing. TIER delivers a legal opinion of your parcel’s exceptions documents, targeting issues of use, financing, and insurability.
- Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs)
- Record of Surveys
- Road Agreements
- Septic Agreements
- Tax Liens
- Water Agreements
Who uses TIER?
- Buyers of auctioned properties
- Know what title insurance won’t cover
- Know the legal risks of a parcel before close of escrow
- Negotiate terms that address the public record
- Negotiate price reflecting defects of the public record
- Substantiate market value prior to listing
Because exceptions documents are a matter of public record, the law assumes buyers know and understand their effect on a parcel’s use, insurability, and financing.
What is The GREEN Light System®?
GREEN Light: Public-record documents indicate parcel is ready for sale or purchase.
YELLOW Light: Public-record documents indicate potential use, title, or lending weakness that affects market value.
RED Light: Public-record documents indicate defects requiring legal work before close of escrow.
GREEN Light Certified parcels:
- Reduce risk
- Command a higher market price
- Are more likely to close
The cost of TIER depends on whether the parcel tests GREEN, YELLOW, or RED:
|GREEN||$1000||Public record ready for market|
|YELLOW||$1250||Public record indicates weakness, but not significant risk|
|RED||$1500||Significant risk; public record indicates defects|
Advance Fee is $1500 per parcel.
Applicable refunds will be initiated the next business day after completion of TIER.
Have the following information handy:
- Name and contact information
- Legal description, parcel number, and/or street address of the Subject Property
- VISA, MasterCard, Discover information
Ordering should take less than five minutes.
1. Preliminary Title Report. The preliminary title report is ordered for your parcel.
2. Exceptions documents. When all exceptions documents have been received, you will receive an email listing the documents to be reviewed, a due-by commitment date, and a scheduled time to speak with your attorney.
3. TIER evaluation letter complete. You will receive an email with the TIER and invoice attached. If parcel tests GREEN or YELLOW, refund will be initiated the next business day.
4. Attorney phone call. Your attorney will call at the scheduled time to answer your questions.